As laundry and dish detergent pods increase in popularity, they are also an increasing concern for pet owners. Most detergents and soaps are toxic to pets and can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea when ingested. Normally, our pets do not have the desire or opportunity to swallow a large amount of bottled detergent. However, the brightly colored pods can look and smell yummy to our furry friends who may consume or inhale enough of the chemicals in the detergent to make them sick. The detergent pods are more accessible to a pet than bottled detergent because of their packaging. They are also designed to dissolve in water, so pet saliva can weaken the plastic and cause the contents to leak even if it hasn’t actually been punctured. Pet owners are encouraged to keep the pods on a high shelf out of reach from pets or in a container with a lid to lessen the chance of being ingested by your pet.


The ASPCA Animal Poison Control reports that dogs make up over 90% of detergent pod poisonings. In addition, the Pet Poison Helpline states that 72 percent of pets exposed to detergent pods developed symptoms of toxicity in 2013 and 2014.


If your pet is experiencing these symptoms from ingestion of detergent or soap, contact your veterinarian right away. Healing Springs Animal Hospital has two vets on call every night. Make your regular vets the doctors who care enough to see your emergencies after hours.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Uncategorized