Rat poison is a common household danger. It’s not unusual to hear stories about cats and dogs becoming very sick or worse because of it. With rat poison, time is of the essence. Here are the signs to watch out for.

  • Rapid breathing/difficulty breathing
  • Vomiting blood
  • Depression
  • Seizures
  • Convulsions
  • Lethargy

If your pet has these symptoms and you suspect rat poison may be involved, call your vet for instructions immediately and then get your pet to a vet right away. Depending on how long it has been since ingesting the poison, treatment options will be different. Do not induce vomiting on your own without consulting a veterinarian or poison control specialist first.

Both dogs and cats are vulnerable to ingesting rat poison. It’s not uncommon for cats to get 2nd hand poison by eating rats that have been poisoned.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email