A brown dog chewing on a large bone with text "Give a Dog a Bone"

With a nick nack paddy whack, give a dog a bone. Uh, wait – avoid giving the dog a bone, at least a “bone treat.” It’s not just the chicken bones from the dinner table that shouldn’t be given to pets. Bone treats found in stores can be just as dangerous.

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) reports that dogs eating bone treats experience blockages in the digestive tract, choking, mouth lacerations, vomiting, diarrhea and in extreme cases, death. The reports involved about 90 dogs of which 15 reportedly died after eating a bone treat.

According to the FDA, bone treats mentioned in the reports include ham bones, pork femur bones, rib bones, and smokey knuckle bones. Bone treats are described as real bones that have been dried or baked through a smoking process and may contain other ingredients such as preservatives, seasonings, and smoke flavorings.

Besides the warning, the FDA also provided extra tips for keeping pets safe:
• Chicken bones and other bones from the kitchen table can also cause injury when eaten by pets.
• Use caution when disposing of turkey and or chicken carcasses in the trash.
• Talk with the veterinarian about other toys and treats that are appropriate for pets.

However, if Rover “isn’t acting right” after chewing on any kind of toy or treat, seek immediate veterinary care.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Uncategorized