Brown dog in a basket of laundry and a group of green detergent pods with text "Laundry and Dish Detergent Pods Toxic to Pets"

Laundry and dish detergent pods are commonly used in the household, and pet owners should be concerned if their pet comes across such pods. Most detergents and soaps are toxic to pets and can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea when ingested. Typically, dogs and cats do not have the desire or opportunity to swallow a large amount of bottled detergent. However, and unfortunately, the look and smell of brightly colored detergent pods could appeal to pets who may consume or inhale enough of the chemicals in the detergent to make them sick.

The detergent pods are more accessible to a pet than bottled detergent because of their packaging and small, obtainable size. They are also designed to dissolve in water, so pet saliva can weaken the plastic and cause the contents to leak even if it hasn’t actually been punctured. Pet owners are encouraged to keep the pods on a high shelf and out of reach from pets or in a container with a lid to lessen the chance of being ingested by your pet.

If your pet is experiencing these symptoms from ingestion of detergent or soap, consult a veterinarian right away. You may also want to consult either of the following pet poison control centers:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Uncategorized