Dangers of cats playing with strings.

Yarn, ribbon, thread, and hair ties! It’s no secret: cats love strings. We’ve all seen cats that love to play with a ball of yarn, but this could be dangerous for the kitty. If ingested, string and other similar items can cause serious intestinal issues. Sometimes the string can pass safely through the digestive system, but if a large amount is swallowed, the feline’s intestines can become blocked or torn. The most common symptoms of this are vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, decreased appetite, fever, and pain in the stomach area.

If you suspect your cat has consumed one of these objects, seek veterinary attention right away. This can include any thread, yarn, ribbon, rubber bands, Easter grass, Christmas tinsel or other comparable items. To avoid this happening to your cats, only let them play with stringy items under your supervision, and take such items away from them if you see them eating the items.

If you see string or a similar item hanging from your cat’s rear end, the question is “to pull or not to pull?” It truthfully is always best to err on the side of caution and take the kitty to the veterinarian. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Uncategorized